Makes 3-4 servings
- 400g fresh tomatoes – I like to use half large and half cherry
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- a handful of basil leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Skin the large tomatoes by plunging into boiling water for a minute and then slipping off the skins. Roughly chop.
- Add the oil and garlic to a pan, fry gently being careful not to burn the garlic as this will make it taste bitter.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, cover and simmer for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile halve the cherry tomatoes. Add these to the pan with half the basil leaves, torn and salt to taste
- Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes
- Uncover and continue to cook for another 20 minutes or so, until the sauce thickens and starts to become slightly jammy.
- Add the remaining basil, check the seasoning.
- Serve with wholemeal, brown rice or spelt spaghetti, penne or rigatoni
- This is also delicious with cubes of roasted aubergine