Oats are an ideal breakfast grain because they are easier to digest than wheat or corn. They contain a special type of soluble fibre that helps lower cholesterol levels and release their energy slowly, which helps balance blood sugar levels. The almonds provide protein and essential fats, keeping blood sugar and energy levels even more balanced and keeping us feeling satisfied all morning. Soaking the almonds, ‘activates’ them, releasing their nutrients and making them more digestible.
- 7-10 almonds
- 40g porridge oats
- 2 crushed cardamom pods
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- a pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 200ml almond milk
- Place the almonds and oats in two separate bowls, cover with spring water and place in the fridge to soak overnight.
- The next morning, drain the water from the nuts and blend the oats and nuts until smooth and creamy.
- Place the oat and nut mixture in a non-stick pan with all the other ingredients. Add more almond milk as necessary and cook slowly, stirring constantly, as it tends to stick if the heat is too high.
- Top with half a sliced banana and a large pinch of cinnamon.